Im just testing daylite for mac osx again – quiet a nice system that can be run on a single machine or networked and accessed from external devices such as iphones and ipod touch..
The daylite ystem keeps all your contacts – tasks – projects – opportunities – calendar notes and reminders all in one neat package on the mac. Its very geared towards corporates and it is a very rich bit of kit! The install and setup i must say was a breeze! I downloaded the server package and the daylite install dmgs – you only need the daylite install dmg for a single machine and install the server if you plan to network or connect over the internet with your iphone..
Anyway I started bt installing the server on my mac server took like half a minute then i installed the main daylite package.
I opened up daylite and ran through the wizard asked me my name address etc and a username and password then aked me to pick for a selection of industries or just a blank template database – so opions being photography or real estate – i picked general and then it logged in cool up and running!! – i went into my ical and created three calendars for it to sync with for now work / band / personal – then i went into preferences in daylite and picked sharing and indicated i wanted it to sync with them calendars and that i wanted to create a group in my mac address book called daylite were i can choose who i want to sync entries in my addressbook to be added to daylite and not the whole lot of my address book because believe me some of my mates i would never think twice of doing business with!!! Bingo add a entry into either daylite or my ical or address book they appear in each program!!
Next i went into the server database admin program and turned told it which database to share on the network and turned on sharing with the big share button ! easy – (this part is for external iphone connection!) then went to network and put in my external ip address and told it to route the ports for me which is does using upnp!! so no port forwarding in the firewall – but one thing you have to keep the server admin program open if you dont forward the ports manually so i will port the ports – it tells you the three ports to forward in so make sure your box has a fixed ip to make it more reliable!! pull across the big button saying share again and hey presto !! shared on the network and to the internet !!! easy done in like 5 mins!! also inside the server admin you add licences for addons and setup periodic back ups for the database!!! awsome..
So i next installed the daylite install on my laptop and connected straight in after i dropped the firewall so will have to add rules for my local connections to be allowed 😉 straight on – all the data shared no problems!!
Next went to the iphone installed the ap through app store – started it up – put in my ip address and username and password – it downloaded the data and im in!!! I can see all the data in need to in daylite plus i can add data and sync with the main database!!! works a treat!! £35 for the year for the iphone app!!! not bad really!!
Its looking like £839 for 5 users and about £130 for one user which is very good really – if your a one man band with a mac daylite + server + the iphone app is like £165 and your away!! great value – i notice they have cut down version for £99 which doesnt have the mail intergration etc – its worth a look
My only problem …. all my calendars and contacts are synced with google so nowadays the contacts aint a problem as the mac syncs contacts with google out of the box!!.. now my calendars in ical just connect to google but will daylite see the data on the google calendars?? nope! is the answer – there is no way around this im afraid at the monment apart from one i downloaded spanning sync which let me create a standard ical calendar and then get that to sync with google calendar!! easy install quick setup and about £35 out of my back pocket! plus it does other syncing which i havent used just the calendar stuff which works a treat as its syncing every 15 mins in the background no problem!!!!
Also if you look at the marketcirle site for this app take a look at billings for the mac for £30 nice easy billings program very easy to setup and use and ties into your address book etc and makes very pro looking invoices!!
Check out the website
Just checking my stats and google indicates I have visitors from various countries apart from spain!!!! loco tonto 🙁
as promised some of my top visitors this week – keep coming back guys 😉
Working on total cares site for some reason the keywords lancaster homecare has dropped from position 1 > 46 !! and the keywords morecambe homecare has gone up from 46 > 1 ?? now thats odd – watching the google and its strange behaviors..
So thats my next goal is to work out how the hell the search engines are working …
I used to setup various security measures when i was running the "big stuff" online
i never chrooted anything to be honest because it was complicated as it was plus I was just moving my internet faced servers
into virtulisation as i was leaving but had some machines running in vmware as this would be easy for me to get support for as things were getting fairly big from smallish company to enterprise 🙂
the servers i built from scratch gentoo boxes hardened kernel – hand built iptables firewall although we was behind a firebox i had full control of what was going in and out (real paranoid!) – very cut down install no X of course – remote secure logging with syslog-ng – tripwire (a must) – chrootkit on regular cron – snare or snort
and to top it all of very secure coding if you can !!!
most of the above programs sends emails so i used to get them on my phone any sign of tampering ssh straight into the logging server and see what the hells going down!!!
in them eight years i never had a hack – I had two mail servers online – 4 web servers – 4 database server (behind the firewall) and various other bits of kit – we did play with a honeypot!
When you start playing try bastille – its a script that locks down a box, the thing is you can see the kind of things it starts locking down so puts you in the frame of mind of lock down 🙂 hey you got to start somewere!
then get loaded up with some tools go to a friends hows get some beers and try crack it 😉 if you get in then your server wants setting up properly 😉 various goodies to hit it with are available if you want something fast nmap it see if the ports are shut properly then nessus it this will tell you if its vunerable or actually just kill the box then you know it isnt setup right 😉
plenty of howtos about that will help you more on google …
as there are plenty of other things to tighten security :
* User Account Administration
* Filesystem Security
* System Resource Limits
always have a backup always have a plan for that day when you come in and your web page says hAckEd bY……
added hazel houses to facebook
stats lookin real good 🙂
My blog urls had numbers on the heading instead of the name of the blog – its easy to fix on wordpress ! follow these steps to fix great for SEO 🙂
How to Put Your Post Titles into Your URLs in WordPress
WordPress makes it easy for you to change your URLs, a.k.a. permalinks.
Log into your WordPress blog.
Click "Options". It’s near the top of the screen.
Click "Permalinks". It’s just below the line that says "Dashboard Write Manage…" (etc).
Before you change anything, make sure that you don’t have a category that conflicts with one of WordPress’ scripts or directory names. For example, check to see that you don’t have a category by the name of wp-admin. If you do, you should change your category names first before proceeding.
Scroll down to the "Common options" section and select "Custom, specify below". In the box below, type "/%category%/%postname%/" without the opening and closing inverted commas (quotes). Click "Update Permalink Structure".
You should see a message that says, "Permalink structure updated". If you get a message that says something like "If this file were writable you could edit it" together with a box showing you the contents of a .htaccess file, it means that your web host configured PHP so that it could not write to your web directories.
We held this months lancaster linux user group meeting on the 2nd wednesday of the month this time to fit in with everyones busy schedules! We havent had a meeting for a few months because we have all been to busy hence the change to the second week! Quite a good turn out so thanks to everyome who turned up! Dave brought his open moko and give us a demo of the new OS he had installed which was pretty slick – he connected it to his laptop and updated the phone using wireless from his laptop which worked nicely then he can install the network app and install the updates and proggies straight from the phone 🙂 nice bit of kit
We talked about installing multiple operating systems on x86 hardware – making it triple boot with linux / mac / windows 🙂
We also discussed various laptops – netbooks and using external devices on the units such as external monitors and keyboards etc.
We also talked about video software and capturing video and audio – i mentioned zoneminder which is a opensource Linux video camera security and surveillance solution. Very mature product – with online viewing of cctv 🙂
I took a look at a toshiba laptop and used the hotkeys – shift and escape to change the boot order in the bios and kicked of a fedora install – i had to leave before the install finished so ill update the blog to let you know if the install finished ok and the laptop works right!!
we also had a long conversation regarding building web pages and uploading them using a ftp client – we talked about using kompozer aka NVU – cross platform software which can get you bulding web pages in minutes take a look here after the site is finished if you can use various ftp clients I use gftp as its nice and easy and very robust take a look here both items should be installable by apt so i would type apt-get install kompozer gftp – this should install both apps for you 🙂
The linux meetings are held at the brittania pub on ulswater road lancaster on the first wednesday of every month at around 8pm – I would suggest adding yourself to the lug mailing list as some months we may change it to the second wednesday of the month if everyone cant make the first!!!!
Please feel free to come along and talk – newbies welcome!! we cover all areas – linux / mac / windows – servers – laptops – workstations – mobile phones!!! come along and join in – good beer & free wifi!!!!!
here are some of the hot keys i used to do my last blog
screen captures are handy for showing of programs or utilities
- To capture the entire desktop, press Command-Shift-3. The screen shot will be automatically saved as a PNG file on your desktop.
- To copy the entire desktop, press Command-Control-Shift-3. The screen shot will be placed on your clipboard for you to paste into another program.
- To capture a portion of the desktop, press Command-Shift-4. A cross-hair cursor will appear and you can click and drag to select the area you wish to capture. When you release the mouse button, the screen shot will be automatically saved as a PNG file on your desktop. (The file is saved as PDF in Mac OS 10.3 and earlier.)
- To capture a specific application window, press Command-Shift-4, then press the Spacebar. The cursor will change to a camera, and you can move it around the screen. As you move the cursor over an application window, the window will be highlighted. The entire window does not need to be visible for you to capture it. When you have the cursor over a window you want to capture, just click the mouse button and the screen shot will be saved as a PNG file on your desktop. (The file is saved as PDF in Mac OS 10.3 and earlier.)
- Add Control to the two shortcuts above to place the screen shot on the clipboard instead of saving it to the desktop.
- Another method for capturing screen shots in Mac OS X is by using the bundled Apple utility, Grab, located in the Applications > Utilities folder. Grab is useful if you need to include a cursor or a menu in your screen shot, or if you want to save your screen shot to TIFF format. To include a cursor, first go to Grab Preferences and select the cursor icon you wish to have in your screen shot. To capture the screen with Grab, run Grab, then choose of the capture modes from the "Capture" menu: Selection, Window, Screen, Timed Screen.
- When you choose the Selection mode in Grab, you can capture a specific region of the screen by dragging around it. Grab will display a tooltip showing the size of the region you have selected and the screen shot will open in a window when you release the mouse button. The cursor will not be included.
- When you choose the Window mode in Grab, an instruction window will appear asking you to select the window you wish to capture, then click the "Choose Window" button. When you click the button, the instructions will disappear and the window you click ill be captured, including the mouse cursor at the position where you click (if a cursor was selected in Preferences).
- When you choose the Screen mode in Grab, an instruction window will appear asking you to click the screen when you are ready to capture. The mouse cursor will be included in your screen shot at the position where you click (if a cursor was selected in Preferences).
- When you choose the Timed Screen mode in Grab, an instruction window will appear, allowing you to prepare your screen for capture. When you are ready, press the "Start Timer" button and you will have ten seconds before the screen is captured. This allows you to open menus and sub-menus, if necessary. After ten seconds the entire screen will be captured. The mouse cursor will be included in your screen shot if a cursor was selected in Preferences.
I knew i was right – our little friend gets the boot from his own company and his little follower goes aswell – that was so on the cards – like i said how sad it is when you can only keep your job because your up someones asssss!!! so what next? get a job at your best m8’s new company? or maybe be a man and get a job you can do properly and on your own two feet – oh i forgot that takes time effort and one thing you may notice you may be lacking ….
intelligence and brains
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
it aint no good driving passed me in a clapped out vw listening to your G shite music what I write on here is the truth im so sorry that you cant take it booo whoooo 🙁
apart from all that my business is boooming – keep the work coming in – took the weekend off which you can do when you are your own boss 🙂
keep your eye on this blog I might change the name to bum watch!!! 🙂
(UPDATE) I wonder who is next …….